NADIA NEW KID ON THE BLOCK




This was the night that everyone was waiting for. How do I know? Simple. I was there and I saw everything with my own eyes. Starting from the amount of security to the amount of people turning up to see it live from the venue, not to mention all the television channels sending their reporters to cover the event live for all their viewers across the country. So what's all the hubbub about? Well it's the grand finale of the Lux Channel i Superstar 2014. This is one of the, if not the most important event in the media calendar. This grand finale brings a new star into the media limelight. The event was beautifully organized and it's easy for anyone to tell how much attention had gone into the planning and execution of the event by simply looking at the stage.
The show started at half past seven to a magnificent song and dance. The host then spoke to some of the celebrity guests about their feelings regarding the competition. After this, the judges for this event were introduced and finally the show really began. The performance started with scenes of previous entries and their journey and elimination. After this, the top five were officially brought out on stage for all to see through a very impressive dance sequence. The incredible entrance set the stage for the announcement of the winners and runner ups from previous Lux Channel i Superstar pageants, who got together for a fantastic dance number. The top ten for this year's competition was brought out on stage so that they could receive Close-up Beautiful Smile, Ponds Miss Beautiful Skin and Sunsilk Miss Beautiful Hair awards.
The last session of the superstar program was held live in front of the audience. The top five were brought out back on stage so that they could compete in a Q&A challenge with the judges consisting of two questions for each contestant. After this, the popular singer and musician James performed live on stage, to the joy of many of the audiences, and previous Lux Superstars performed in each song. And finally, the time for announcing had arrived and it was clear, despite the smiles on the top five's faces, that they were truly nervous. The order for the announcement would be second runner-up, first runner-up and finally, the winner. Neela was announced to be the second runner-up and won Tk 3 lac. The first runner-up position went to Nazifa, who won Tk 5 lac. Finally, the winner, who stood to win Tk 10 lac in addition to being crowned the new face of Lux, was announced and it was none other than Nadia! The announcement instantaneously shot her into the mind-space of the public and her nomination was met with widespread appreciation from the audience.
Star Showbiz caught up with her afterwards.
How did you feel when you won?
It felt unreal. I went through the competition without focusing on the prize. I was focusing on just doing everything I was asked to do as best as I possibly could. But I honestly didn't think I was going to win. I felt like I was dreaming when I was being crowned. I was so overjoyed that I thought I might cry!
What's your family's reaction to your participation and win in the competition?
My parents thankfully supported me wholeheartedly right from the beginning. After my win, that support has grown tenfold. A good example is my own mother. When I won, I felt that I would tear up in joy. When I went home and my mom embraced me, I could tell she was crying in joy. I honestly believe that my family is more overjoyed with my win than me.
Are you still friends with the other contestants from your camp?
We were always good friends, right from day one, despite the fact that at the end of the day we were still contending in the same competition. I think the reason why we became friends is because there has been a great amount of understanding between us from the start. Regardless of our positions in the contest, we are still good friends.
How would you have felt if you didn't win?
I would have taken things very positively and I truly mean it. If I was faking it, everyone would have been able to spot it right away. The reason for this positive confidence was because of the judges. The judges have been fair and wise and that's why we were the top five. Even if they didn't pick me as a winner, sure I would have been a little heartbroken but I would have understood soon after that it was probably the right decision. In the end, I believe whatever ALLAH does is for the best.
What are your immediate plans now?
Well, I want to complete my education first. Competing in Lux has hampered my studies a bit but now I want to get back to it. I just finished my H.S.C. I originally wanted to try to apply for BUET but I missed the entrance exam, so now I think I will enroll in a BBA program. I need to study and work in the media so I need to balance the workload accordingly. I also plan to study on media as well but I plan to do that after my graduation.
About yourself, what do you consider to be positive and negative?
I believe that I have confidence in myself. I always try to stay as positive as I can be. I am a good learner. I like to be disciplined in my life and I think I give value to time. As for the negatives, I believe that I get angry too quickly. I also lose my patience with irregularity, which might seem like a good trait but it isn't because it's not right to lose your temper everywhere. Thankfully the grooming I received in Lux is helping me already.
How would you tackle any negativity in the media which is likely to be present to some extent?
I am positive and also very patient. And I will deal with this as calmly as possible. I believe that if I can stay good in the eyes of the audience and make the audience trust me, I won't have to worry about any negativity affecting my reputation. I also don't plan on giving up in the media because of any negative issue.
Do you have any tips for future newcomers in the Lux Superstar Competition?
I would say that newcomers shouldn't get hung up on beauty. True beauty isn't on the outside, it's on the inside. At the end of the day, the lasting impression one creates on the audience exudes from one's personality. And if you are confident then you can succeed in any field not just the media.
By Rafi Hossain and S.M. Intisab Shahriyar